FAST TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
During the last two decades, sand and dust storms (SDS) phenomena have escalated in the world and particularly in West Asia and the Southern and Western parts of Iran, especially in Khuzestan province. The affected areas are faced with low food security. This is a threat to human life, flora and fauna in the affected regions. According to several studies, the intensity and frequency of dust storms due to climate change has increased in Iran.
The Center for Innovation and Cooperation as a focal point of CTCN (the National Designated Entity of Iran) aims to organize the first SDS technology workshop in Iran.
Identify and foster available technologies to enhance the implementation to combat Sand and Dust Storms sources with a focus on degraded lands, dried-up riverbeds and lakes, and plains and agricultural fields:
- Engagement of main stakeholders
- Development of concept note
- SDS technology resource mobilization
- Capacity building
- The role of CTCN on availability, accessibility and transfer of SDS technology
- Support for entrepreneurs and startups
- Good practices
- Introduced technologies to control sand and dust storms sources with a focus on degraded lands, dried-up riverbeds and lakes, and plains and agricultural fields
- Defined some pilot projects in Iran in terms of transfer of some new technologies
- Reported national problems, roadmap and technology needs for controlling SDS sources
- Partnership with the relevant special agencies (UNCCD, WMO, UNEP, ESCAP, WHO, etc.)