This Technology Transfer Advances Armenia's
- Nationally Determined Contribution to strive to achieve ecosystem neutral GHG emissions in 2050 (equivalent to 2.07 tons/per capita per annum) with the support of adequate (necessary and sufficient) international financial, technological and capacity building assistance, and to ensure adequate technological assistance and create a favorable environment for technology development and transfer.
Armenia is a landlocked mountainous country with vulnerable ecosystems. Thus, climate change adaptation and mitigation are among national priorities. Identification of the most relevant technologies and their promotion among stakeholders in Armenia is a weak point for the country in this regard. There is a lack of knowledge of existing technologies, lack of experience in identification of stakeholders, preparation of proposals, and formation of necessary alliances, necessary for efficient technology transfer.
Requested CTCN Response
- Identification of the most relevant technologies for the priority objectives, e.g. new high-performance materials for buildings thermal insulation; non-energy intensive substitutes of metal reinforcement; energy-saving equipment for production sites/electric lighting; combined energy generators for rural areas, etc.
- Development of a comprehensive plan for selected technologies' promotion among key stakeholders; and support for the implementation of the plan
- Provision of tools and trainings on how to prepare proposals to identified stakeholders as well as on legal issues relating to technology transfer
- Preparation of a financial model (including operational expenditures), and a legal model, in order to develop agreements between the technology developers and stakeholders
- Guidance and support for technology customization and widespread deployment. Facilitation to expand the range of partners and stakeholders for technology implementation/commercialization.
Relevant Technologies and Approaches
- Formation of a national process identification and development of technologies most relevant to country's needs
- Strengthened capacity to develop proposals, establish stakeholder alliances, and other actions necessary for efficient technology transfer
- Elimination of barriers that hinder the transfer of climate technologies
- Formation of sustainable innovation platform for environmentally sound technologies, and increased investments in this field.